Friday, November 21, 2014

Toddler Approved Fall Crafts


I love to craft. And because mama loves crafts, Christian will love crafts. 

Luckily, so far he has been a fan! 

Crafting with Christian has gotten to be more fun, though. 

Crafting used to be mama taking attempting to take Christian's footprints and hand prints. Seriously. How is a mama supposed to get a good hand print by the way!?! If you figure it out, be sure to let me know! 

Now, as Christian is getting older (almost 18 months!!!) he is getting the hang of using a marker and actually doing some controlled scribbling, and also able to maneuver a paint brush across paper pretty well.

So that means we can do some legit projects now! 

Here are my top favorites from this fall {Side note...can you really call November "Fall" if there is already snow on the ground??? I'm feeling conflicted...}


This one is SUPER simple! 
1. Let your little one scribble ALL over a coffee filter. The more scribbly, the better! This is the perfect craft for toddlers. Seriously. The way the "color" is the BEST for making a colorful turkey! 

2. Once they are satisfied with their coloring, let me give their filter about 2 spritzes from a spray bottle. **You will want to be prepared with someplace for this to hang to dry. If you set it on a paper towel all the color will absorb onto the paper towel. Also, too many squirts and the color will all run off**

3. Cut out a turkey body from construction paper. Mama, this will be your job. Or Dad's! Or some adult :) Add the eyes, nose, and gobble too of course! 

4. Once the coffee filter has had time to dry, glue it onto another piece of construction paper. Depending on your child's age, they might be able to do this themselves. Christian isn't quite into gluing yet, so I did this part for him. Then glue on the body and you have yourself a little turkey! 

{Original idea found here.}


Another perfect project for a toddler! 

I actually started this project with a rectangular piece of construction paper. I gave the whole thing to Christian with a few drops of orange paint and let him go to town with his paint brush. When he was done painting {you can see he over painted one spot and put a hole through the paper!} I let it dry and then I cut out a "pumpkin" shape in the area of the paper that had the most paint. You of course could give the cut out shape from the start, but I waited so that I could get the most painted part on the pumpkin. Add a construction paper stem and you are good to go! 



This last project didn't quite go as planned, but I still love how it turned out! 

I found this fun idea on pinterest for wine cork painting and was excited when we finally had some wine with a cork so we could give the project a try! However, Christian wasn't super into the "stamping" with the wine cork. He much preferred to just use a paintbrush, but that worked well too! 

1. Cut out a "trunk" shape or trace child's hand and arm onto brown construction paper and cut out and glue onto another piece of construction paper. 

2. Dip wine cork into various colors of paint (we used yellow, red, and orange). 

3. "Stamp" wine cork onto paper for the "leaves" of the tree. **Even though Christian wasn't into the stamping part, I stamped a few colors for him and then let him use his paint brush to smear the colors around. I think it turned out great this way as well! 

What have been your favorite fall crafts? Have some fun winter and Christmas crafts planned? Please share!! 

Happy Crafting! 

P.S. For more fun craft ideas, be sure you are following me on Pinterest and check out my "Fall" board! 

2 comments :

  1. Hey! I did not know that your blog address changed!?!?! I am behind on your blog! Hopefully soon I will get some time to catch up! Sorry I have been missing you! Hope all is well your way!
    Katie
    godslittlegrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha no worries! I think I did a post about the change...but now I'm wondering! Hopefully I will be done changing now :) Might there be a change in your future now 2 with another little one?

      Delete

09 10